Category Archives: Current

Creative Process, Late July, 2017.

A Spider Lily Petal, a drawing, part, acid dye on silk.
A Spider Lily Petal, a macro photograph.

Above: post steam set (the high-heat, steam-not-water procedure is outsourced to craftsmen in Tokyo who mostly work with kimono clients), red dye now bright and alive. Approx.120 things I secretly feared would go wrong, one of which being overdoing the dye, meaning way too many dye particles sitting upon fabric grain, from which a major trouble certainly results, a mistake I once made in 2003, did not happen. Dyed surface now stable, time for me to relax.

Below: a macro shot of a spider lily petal, the muse for the above piece I’ve been working on, photographed as I discovered its magic back in Fall 2014.

Subscribe | Share on Facebook, Google+, Twitter

Things seldom make sense for the first 98 percent of the process.

Firstly, thank you!! to those of you who signed up for my newsletter, also for your kind notes and generous words. Please know you have my appreciation.

Dream Lily, a spider lily petal above the shore.
A spider lily petal, acid dye on silk, detail.

Above: Dream Lily (Nine), one of the very first photos I took of spider lily petals – a visual memo I made back in late 2012, of ideas for the dress series to emerge.
Below: fast forward several years. Spider Lily Red – Flare 1 (the series and its first piece), acid dye on silk, process, detail, photographed on 15th of July, a day after I stopped painting on the piece – there was nothing more to add.

Looking back to where it began before stepping into the remaining 2 percent, crossing my fingers.

Subscribe | Share on Facebook, Google+, Twitter

Creative Process, April 22, 2017.

Abstract Lily, acid dye on silk, process - test on sewing body.

“Hope you get to see the cherries fall – have you?
There’s this one day all the trees decide to let go of the petals, it’s not the rain, or storm…but when this one day comes, often a very sunny day, they release their petals and fill the gray and busy Tokyo with swirling mass of pink confetti.”
– from an unsent letter, three springs ago.

Abstract Lily, acid dye on silk, process - painting, matching li

Photos: Spider Lily Red, in progress, pictured just yesterday.

The text is a repost from April 2014. Although the original post was deleted (it was not “dense” enough to stay – with each post I try to deliver something meaningful, personally and hopefully also somewhat universally.) I liked the text and every year I thought of it as the cherries fell. Because they fall, how they fall each year, as if the petals are held by micro hands that release the grip at the command inaudible to human ears, orchestrated in perfect timing optimal for the falling petals to dance midair.

I am also accumulating videos, of the blossoms, me painting, and other various scenes from spring I wish to put together at one point. For now though, I am focusing my effort on finishing the painting because.
Using dye is a delicate business. One must protect the budding piece from any moisture (e.g. sneezing, drooling..) and flying dye particles that become only visible once heat-set. It is best done in one sitting, in this case in one long sitting.

Furthermore.
I am posting some snaps on my VSCO account as I inch forward, so do come have a look when really bored perhaps, it is a good place to hang a while I think.
Thank you for your visit, enjoy your April.

Abstract Lily, acid dye on silk, process - painting, detail.

Subscribe | Share on Facebook, Google+, Twitter