Above: post steam set (the high-heat, steam-not-water procedure is outsourced to craftsmen in Tokyo who mostly work with kimono clients), red dye now bright and alive. Approx.120 things I secretly feared would go wrong, one of which being overdoing the dye, meaning way too many dye particles sitting upon fabric grain, from which a major trouble certainly results, a mistake I once made in 2003, did not happen. Dyed surface now stable, time for me to relax.
Firstly, thank you!! to those of you who signed up for my newsletter, also for your kind notes and generous words. Please know you have my appreciation.
Above: Dream Lily (Nine), one of the very first photos I took of spider lily petals – a visual memo I made back in late 2012, of ideas for the dress series to emerge.
Below: fast forward several years. Spider Lily Red – Flare 1 (the series and its first piece), acid dye on silk, process, detail, photographed on 15th of July, a day after I stopped painting on the piece – there was nothing more to add.
Looking back to where it began before stepping into the remaining 2 percent, crossing my fingers.
Both were photographed during Fall-Winter 2011, in Oyashirazu, Niigata (top) and San Francisco, California (this one’s my “light calligraphy” practice) using an old model Canon Powershot, and edited today with VSCOX preset X3 and my passion for creative rule breaking which had recently gone thru an upgrade. Yei.
I posted short and sweet photo essays from the trips on my vsco account trying different styles breaking my own rules, so visit when you can.
Thanks for stopping by.